If you’re a proud owner of a bearded dragon, you know how important it is to provide them with a balanced and nutritious diet. With so many food options out there, it’s easy to get lost in the endless possibilities of what you can or cannot feed your beardies – from Applesauce to Green Grapes to Melon.
However, today we’ll be focusing on a particular food item, or rather a particular question, that often sparks confusion in the mind of a bearded dragon owner – can my bearded dragon eat superworms?
So, let’s get started!
Can bearded dragons have superworms?
Yes, Bearded Dragons can eat Superworms. Superworms are a nutritious and protein-rich food source that can be included in their diet. However, they should be fed in moderation as they are high in fat and can lead to obesity if overfed.
It is recommended to offer Superworms as an occasional treat rather than a staple food. Make sure to provide a balanced diet by also including other insects and vegetables to keep your Bearded Dragon healthy and happy.
Now, let’s dive into the benefits and potential risks of feeding superworms to bearded dragons in more detail.
Benefits of feeding superworms to beardies
Here are 3 benefits of feeding superworms to bearded dragons:
- High Protein Content: Superworms contain a significant amount of protein, which is essential for the growth, development, and overall health of bearded dragons.
- Good Source of Calcium: These worms are high in calcium, which helps to maintain strong bones and prevent metabolic bone disease in bearded dragons.
- Enticing Movement: Superworms’ lively movement can stimulate a bearded dragon’s hunting instincts, encouraging them to eat and aiding in their mental stimulation.
Potential risks of feeding superworms to beardies
While superworms can offer some benefits to your bearded dragon, there are also some potential risks to keep in mind:
- Impaction risk: Superworms have a tough exoskeleton that can cause impaction in bearded dragons, leading to serious digestive issues.
- Overconsumption problems: Bearded dragons may overeat superworms due to their high fat content, leading to obesity and other health problems.
- Nutritional imbalances: Excessive feeding of superworms can cause a deficiency in calcium and other essential nutrients required for a bearded dragon’s healthy growth and development.
Alternatives to superworms for bearded dragons
If you’re searching for alternatives to superworms, there are plenty of other fruits, vegetables and insects that your bearded dragon can enjoy. Here are five options to consider, along with their potential benefits and how to incorporate them into your beardie’s diet:
- Crickets: High in protein and essential nutrients, crickets can support your bearded dragon’s growth and overall health, and should be a staple part of their daily diet.
- Dubia Roaches: High in protein and nutrients, Dubia roaches are a great feeder insect for bearded dragons, promoting growth and overall health with their easily digestible exoskeletons. They can be fed daily as a staple diet.
- Collard Greens: Rich in vitamins A and C, Collard Greens provide essential nutrients for your bearded dragon’s overall health and can be included as a staple part of their diet.
- Papaya: Rich in antioxidants and vitamin A, papaya can enhance your bearded dragon’s vision and support a healthy immune system; serve as a treat occasionally.
- Hornworms: High in protein and moisture, hornworms are a nutritious and hydrating treat that can promote growth and overall health in your bearded dragon, ideally fed once or twice a week.
1. Can baby bearded dragons eat superworms?
Yes, baby bearded dragons can eat superworms, but they should be fed sparingly as an occasional treat due to their high fat content.
2. How often can bearded dragons eat superworms?
Bearded dragons can eat Superworms once or twice a week.
3. Do bearded dragons like superworms?
Yes, bearded dragons enjoy eating Superworms as an occasional treat since they are high in protein and fat.
Other foods for bearded dragons worth checking:
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Applesauce?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Green Grapes?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Melon?
You can check other interesting information about your beardies by clicking here.
Also, do you have any special recipes or food tips for feeding bearded dragons? I’d love to hear from you! Share with me your beardie’s favourite in the comments below!