If you’re a proud owner of a bearded dragon, you know how important it is to provide them with a balanced and nutritious diet. With so many food options out there, it’s easy to get lost in the endless possibilities of what you can or cannot feed your beardies – from Green Apples to Spiders to Grub Worms.
However, today we’ll be focusing on a particular food item, or rather a particular question, that often sparks confusion in the mind of a bearded dragon owner – can my bearded dragon eat strawberries?
So, let’s get started!
Can bearded dragons have strawberries?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat strawberries. These fruits are a good source of vitamins and minerals, and can be a healthy treat for your pet when fed in moderation.
However, it is essential to maintain a balanced diet for your bearded dragon. Strawberries should be fed sparingly, as an occasional treat, and not as a staple food. Make sure to prioritize protein sources and other veggies in their diet.
Now, let’s dive into the benefits and potential risks of feeding strawberries to bearded dragons in more detail.
Benefits of feeding strawberries to beardies
Here are 3 benefits of feeding strawberries to bearded dragons:
- Rich in antioxidants: Strawberries provide bearded dragons with essential antioxidants that help support their immune system and overall health.
- Hydration boost: The high water content in strawberries helps keep bearded dragons hydrated, which is crucial for their digestion and kidney function.
- Low in oxalates: Unlike some other fruits, strawberries are low in oxalates, making them a safe fruit option for bearded dragons that won’t cause calcium deficiency issues.
Potential risks of feeding strawberries to beardies
While strawberries can offer some benefits to your bearded dragon, there are also some potential risks to keep in mind:
- Allergic Reactions: Bearded dragons can experience allergic reactions to strawberries, causing discomfort and health issues.
- High Sugar Content: Strawberries contain high levels of sugar which can lead to obesity and other health problems in bearded dragons.
- Oxalates and Calcium Binding: Strawberries contain oxalates that can bind to calcium, reducing its absorption and potentially leading to metabolic bone disease.
Alternatives to strawberries for bearded dragons
If you’re searching for alternatives to strawberries, there are plenty of other fruits, vegetables and insects that your bearded dragon can enjoy. Here are five options to consider, along with their potential benefits and how to incorporate them into your beardie’s diet:
- Blueberries: Packed with antioxidants and vitamin C, blueberries enhance your bearded dragon’s immunity and skin health, serving as a weekly treat.
- Collard Greens: Rich in vitamins A, C, and calcium, collard greens contribute to a bearded dragon’s overall health, supporting strong bones and vibrant skin when served as a staple part of their diet.
- Dandelion Greens: Rich in vitamins A, C, and K, dandelion greens provide essential nutrients to support your bearded dragon’s overall health and wellness, making them an excellent addition to their diet.
- Dubia Roaches: High in protein and nutrients, Dubia roaches are an excellent feeder insect for bearded dragons, promoting growth and overall health. They can be fed as a staple part of their diet.
- Bell Peppers: Packed with essential vitamins and antioxidants, bell peppers are a nutritious and colorful addition to your bearded dragon’s diet, offering immune support and promoting overall health.
1. Can baby bearded dragons eat strawberries?
Yes, baby bearded dragons can eat strawberries occasionally as a treat, but not as a staple food due to their high sugar content.
2. How often can bearded dragons eat strawberries?
Bearded dragons can eat strawberries occasionally, about once every two weeks.
3. Do bearded dragons like strawberries?
Yes, bearded dragons can enjoy strawberries occasionally as a treat.
Other foods for bearded dragons worth checking:
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Green Apples?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Spiders?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Grub Worms?
You can check other interesting information about your beardies by clicking here.
Also, do you have any special recipes or food tips for feeding bearded dragons? I’d love to hear from you! Share with me your beardie’s favourite in the comments below!