If you’re a proud owner of a bearded dragon, you know how important it is to provide them with a balanced and nutritious diet. With so many food options out there, it’s easy to get lost in the endless possibilities of what you can or cannot feed your beardies – from Cactus to Cooked Turkey to Okra.
However, today we’ll be focusing on a particular food item, or rather a particular question, that often sparks confusion in the mind of a bearded dragon owner – can my bearded dragon eat praying mantises?
So, let’s get started!
Can bearded dragons have praying mantises?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat praying mantises. Praying mantises are a good source of protein and can be an occasional treat for your bearded dragon. However, it is important to consider the size of the mantis, as larger ones might pose a risk to your pet.
Additionally, wild-caught praying mantises may carry parasites or pesticides, which can be harmful to your bearded dragon. It is better to provide them with captive-bred mantises or stick to their regular diet.
Now, let’s dive into the benefits and potential risks of feeding praying mantises to bearded dragons in more detail.
Benefits of feeding praying mantises to beardies
Here are 3 benefits of feeding praying mantises to bearded dragons:
- Nutritional Value: Praying mantises are a good source of protein and other essential nutrients for bearded dragons.
- Stimulates Hunting: Introducing praying mantises encourages the bearded dragon’s natural hunting instincts, promoting physical and mental health.
- Varied Diet: Including praying mantises in a bearded dragon’s diet offers variety, preventing boredom and ensuring a well-rounded nutritional intake.
Potential risks of feeding praying mantises to beardies
While praying mantises can offer some benefits to your bearded dragon, there are also some potential risks to keep in mind:
- Parasite Transmission: Feeding praying mantises to bearded dragons can introduce parasites into the dragon’s system, potentially causing health issues.
- Unbalanced Diet: Relying too heavily on praying mantises as a food source may lead to nutrient deficiencies and an unbalanced diet for the bearded dragon.
- Aggressive Behavior: Praying mantises can exhibit aggressive behavior and may injure the bearded dragon during feeding attempts, leading to stress or physical harm.
Alternatives to praying mantises for bearded dragons
If you’re searching for alternatives to praying mantises, there are plenty of other fruits, vegetables and insects that your bearded dragon can enjoy. Here are five options to consider, along with their potential benefits and how to incorporate them into your beardie’s diet:
- Crickets: High in protein and essential nutrients, crickets can support your bearded dragon’s growth, muscle function, and overall health, making them a staple in their diet.
- Mealworms: High in protein and essential nutrients, mealworms are a staple food source for bearded dragons, promoting growth, energy, and overall health.
- Dubia Roaches: High in protein and easy to digest, Dubia roaches are an excellent staple feeder for bearded dragons, providing essential nutrients for growth and overall health.
- Collard Greens: Rich in vitamins A and C, collard greens provide essential nutrients for your bearded dragon’s growth, eyesight, and immune system, making them a healthy staple in their diet.
- Butternut Squash: Rich in vitamins and fiber, butternut squash offers a nutritious meal option for bearded dragons, promoting healthy digestion and immune function when served occasionally.
1. Can baby bearded dragons eat praying mantises?
Yes, baby bearded dragons can eat praying mantises, but only occasionally as they are not a staple food source.
2. How often can bearded dragons eat praying mantises?
Bearded dragons can eat Praying Mantises occasionally, as they should not be a staple in their diet. It is recommended to feed them Praying Mantises once or twice a month.
3. Do bearded dragons like praying mantises?
Yes, bearded dragons enjoy eating praying mantises as part of their diet.
Other foods for bearded dragons worth checking:
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Cactus?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Cooked Turkey?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Okra?
You can check other interesting information about your beardies by clicking here.
Also, do you have any special recipes or food tips for feeding bearded dragons? I’d love to hear from you! Share with me your beardie’s favourite in the comments below!