If you’re a proud owner of a bearded dragon, you know how important it is to provide them with a balanced and nutritious diet. With so many food options out there, it’s easy to get lost in the endless possibilities of what you can or cannot feed your beardies – from Dandelion Flowers to Clementines to Green Cabbage.
However, today we’ll be focusing on a particular food item, or rather a particular question, that often sparks confusion in the mind of a bearded dragon owner – can my bearded dragon eat peas?
So, let’s get started!
Can bearded dragons have peas?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat peas occasionally as a treat. Peas are not harmful to them, but they should not be a staple in their diet. It is essential to provide a balanced diet, including a variety of fruits, vegetables, and insects.
However, moderation is crucial when feeding peas to your bearded dragon. Too many peas can lead to health issues, as they are high in oxalates and goitrogens, which can interfere with calcium absorption and thyroid function.
Now, let’s dive into the benefits and potential risks of feeding peas to bearded dragons in more detail.
Benefits of feeding peas to beardies
Here are 3 benefits of feeding peas to bearded dragons:
- Nutritional Value: Peas contain essential nutrients like vitamins A and C, along with calcium and fiber, which are beneficial for bearded dragons.
- Hydration Boost: Peas have a high water content, contributing to the hydration levels of bearded dragons, aiding in digestion and overall health.
- Variety in Diet: Feeding peas to bearded dragons can add diversity to their diet, making it more interesting and promoting healthier eating habits.
Potential risks of feeding peas to beardies
While peas can offer some benefits to your bearded dragon, there are also some potential risks to keep in mind:
- Nutrient Imbalance: Feeding peas to bearded dragons may cause a nutrient imbalance, as peas are high in phosphorus and low in calcium, which can lead to metabolic bone disease.
- Choking Hazard: Whole peas may pose a choking risk for bearded dragons, especially if they are too large for the reptile to swallow comfortably.
3. Digestive Issues: Bearded dragons may have difficulty digesting peas, which can lead to gastrointestinal issues such as impacted bowel or impaction.
Alternatives to peas for bearded dragons
If you’re searching for alternatives to peas, there are plenty of other fruits, vegetables and insects that your bearded dragon can enjoy. Here are five options to consider, along with their potential benefits and how to incorporate them into your beardie’s diet:
- Collard Greens: Rich in nutrients and fiber, collard greens support your bearded dragon’s digestion and overall health, making them a staple part of their diet to be fed multiple times a week.
- Dandelion Greens: Rich in calcium and essential nutrients, dandelion greens strengthen your bearded dragon’s bones and support overall health, making an excellent addition to their diet.
- Bell Peppers: Rich in vitamins A and C, bell peppers provide a nutritious and colorful snack for your bearded dragon, promoting a healthy immune system and vibrant scales when offered occasionally.
- Mealworms: High in protein and essential nutrients, mealworms are a staple food source that supports bearded dragon growth, development, and overall health; serve as part of a balanced diet.
- Mangoes: Rich in vitamins A and C, mangoes offer a nutritious and tasty treat for your bearded dragon, enhancing their immune system and eye health when fed occasionally.
1. Can baby bearded dragons eat peas?
Yes, baby bearded dragons can eat peas occasionally as a treat, but they should not be a staple in their diet.
2. How often can bearded dragons eat peas?
Bearded dragons can eat peas occasionally, about once or twice a month.
3. Do bearded dragons like peas?
Bearded dragons can eat peas occasionally, but they are not a favorite or staple food in their diet.
Other foods for bearded dragons worth checking:
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Dandelion Flowers?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Clementines?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Green Cabbage?
You can check other interesting information about your beardies by clicking here.
Also, do you have any special recipes or food tips for feeding bearded dragons? I’d love to hear from you! Share with me your beardie’s favourite in the comments below!