If you’re a proud owner of a bearded dragon, you know how important it is to provide them with a balanced and nutritious diet. With so many food options out there, it’s easy to get lost in the endless possibilities of what you can or cannot feed your beardies – from Spiders to Grub Worms to Peppers.
However, today we’ll be focusing on a particular food item, or rather a particular question, that often sparks confusion in the mind of a bearded dragon owner – can my bearded dragon eat green apples?
So, let’s get started!
Can bearded dragons have green apples?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat green apples. However, it is essential to feed them in moderation, as apples are high in sugar and can potentially cause digestive issues if consumed excessively.
When feeding green apples to your bearded dragon, make sure to remove the skin and seeds, as they can be harmful. Cut the apple into small pieces and occasionally offer them as a treat alongside their staple diet of greens, vegetables, and insects.
Now, let’s dive into the benefits and potential risks of feeding green apples to bearded dragons in more detail.
Benefits of feeding green apples to beardies
Here are 3 benefits of feeding green apples to bearded dragons:
- Rich in vitamins: Green apples provide essential vitamins like vitamin C and K, which help improve the bearded dragon’s immune system and overall health.
- Hydration boost: Green apples contain a high water content, providing extra hydration to bearded dragons in addition to their regular water intake.
- Fiber source: Green apples are a good source of dietary fiber, which can aid in digestion and help maintain a healthy gut for bearded dragons.
Potential risks of feeding green apples to beardies
While green apples can offer some benefits to your bearded dragon, there are also some potential risks to keep in mind:
- Choking hazard: Green apples, especially if not cut into small pieces, can cause choking in bearded dragons due to their size and shape.
- Acidity issues: Green apples are more acidic than other fruits, which may lead to digestive issues or irritation in bearded dragons’ digestive tracts.
- Unbalanced diet: Feeding too many green apples may lead to nutritional imbalances in a bearded dragon’s diet, potentially causing health issues.
Alternatives to green apples for bearded dragons
If you’re searching for alternatives to green apples, there are plenty of other fruits, vegetables and insects that your bearded dragon can enjoy. Here are five options to consider, along with their potential benefits and how to incorporate them into your beardie’s diet:
- Collard Greens: Rich in calcium and fiber, collard greens support your bearded dragon’s bone health and digestion, and can be included as a staple part of their diet.
- Butternut Squash: Rich in vitamins A and C, butternut squash supports your bearded dragon’s immune system and vision, and can be served as a delicious treat every two weeks.
- Dubia Roaches: High in protein and essential nutrients, Dubia roaches are a healthy feeder insect for bearded dragons, promoting growth and overall well-being. They can be fed regularly as part of a balanced diet.
- Bell Peppers: High in antioxidants and vitamin A, bell peppers support your bearded dragon’s immune system and eye health, making them a colorful and nutritious treat to enjoy occasionally.
- Mango.: High in vitamins A and C, mango can benefit your bearded dragon’s immune system and support healthy vision, but should be offered as an occasional treat due to its high sugar content.
1. Can baby bearded dragons eat green apples?
Yes, baby bearded dragons can eat green apples occasionally and in small amounts, as they contain high sugar and oxalic acid.
2. How often can bearded dragons eat green apples?
Bearded dragons can eat green apples occasionally, about once every two weeks.
3. Do bearded dragons like green apples?
Bearded dragons can eat small amounts of green apples occasionally, but they are not a preferred food due to high sugar content and low calcium-to-phosphorus ratio.
Other foods for bearded dragons worth checking:
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Spiders?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Grub Worms?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Peppers?
You can check other interesting information about your beardies by clicking here.
Also, do you have any special recipes or food tips for feeding bearded dragons? I’d love to hear from you! Share with me your beardie’s favourite in the comments below!