If you’re a proud owner of a bearded dragon, you know how important it is to provide them with a balanced and nutritious diet. With so many food options out there, it’s easy to get lost in the endless possibilities of what you can or cannot feed your beardies – from Cauliflower Leaves to Worms to Pumpkin.
However, today we’ll be focusing on a particular food item, or rather a particular question, that often sparks confusion in the mind of a bearded dragon owner – can my bearded dragon eat crickets?
So, let’s get started!
Can bearded dragons have crickets?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat crickets. Crickets are a staple food for bearded dragons and provide essential nutrients such as protein, which supports their growth and overall health. It is important to feed them appropriately-sized crickets to avoid choking hazards.
However, a bearded dragon’s diet should also include a variety of other insects, vegetables, and fruits to ensure they receive a well-balanced and diverse range of nutrients. This will promote a healthy and happy bearded dragon.
Now, let’s dive into the benefits and potential risks of feeding crickets to bearded dragons in more detail.
Benefits of feeding crickets to beardies
Here are 3 benefits of feeding crickets to bearded dragons:
- Nutritional Value: Crickets are high in essential nutrients like protein, vitamins and minerals, which are crucial for Bearded Dragons’ health and growth.
- Natural Hunting Instinct: Feeding live crickets encourages Bearded Dragons to exhibit their natural hunting behaviors, providing them with mental stimulation and exercise.
- Easily Digestible: Crickets have a soft exoskeleton, making them easy for Bearded Dragons to digest and reducing the risk of impaction issues.
Potential risks of feeding crickets to beardies
While crickets can offer some benefits to your bearded dragon, there are also some potential risks to keep in mind:
- Impaction risk: Feeding crickets that are too large for a bearded dragon can lead to impaction, causing digestive issues and discomfort.
- Parasite transmission: Crickets can carry parasites, which can be passed on to bearded dragons, potentially leading to illness or infection.
3. Nutritional imbalance: Relying solely on crickets for a bearded dragon’s diet can result in a nutritional imbalance, leading to health problems and stunted growth.
Alternatives to crickets for bearded dragons
If you’re searching for alternatives to crickets, there are plenty of other fruits, vegetables and insects that your bearded dragon can enjoy. Here are five options to consider, along with their potential benefits and how to incorporate them into your beardie’s diet:
- Dubia Roaches: High in protein and nutrients, Dubia roaches are an excellent feeder insect for bearded dragons, promoting growth and overall health. They can be fed regularly as part of a balanced diet.
- Mealworms: High in protein and essential nutrients, mealworms are a staple food for bearded dragons, promoting growth and overall health, and can be fed regularly.
- Waxworms: High in protein and fat, waxworms are a tasty treat for bearded dragons that can help with weight gain and energy but should be fed sparingly due to their high fat content.
- Collard Greens: Rich in vitamins A and C, Collard Greens provide essential nutrients for your bearded dragon’s growth, immune system, and eye health, and can be fed as a staple part of their diet.
- Blueberries: Packed with antioxidants and vitamin C, blueberries enhance your bearded dragon’s immunity and skin health, making a perfect weekly treat.
1. Can baby bearded dragons eat crickets?
Yes, baby bearded dragons can eat crickets.
2. How often can bearded dragons eat crickets?
Bearded dragons can eat crickets daily, but the number of crickets depends on their age: juveniles need more frequent feedings, while adults can eat 5-10 crickets every other day.
3. Do bearded dragons like crickets?
Yes, bearded dragons enjoy eating crickets as part of their diet.
Other foods for bearded dragons worth checking:
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Cauliflower Leaves?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Worms?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Pumpkin?
You can check other interesting information about your beardies by clicking here.
Also, do you have any special recipes or food tips for feeding bearded dragons? I’d love to hear from you! Share with me your beardie’s favourite in the comments below!