If you’re a proud owner of a bearded dragon, you know how important it is to provide them with a balanced and nutritious diet. With so many food options out there, it’s easy to get lost in the endless possibilities of what you can or cannot feed your beardies – from Honeysuckle to Cantaloupe to Swiss Chard.
However, today we’ll be focusing on a particular food item, or rather a particular question, that often sparks confusion in the mind of a bearded dragon owner – can my bearded dragon eat cockroaches?
So, let’s get started!
Can bearded dragons have cockroaches?
Yes, Bearded Dragons can eat cockroaches. Feeding them cockroaches can be a good source of protein and nutrients for your pet. It is essential to provide them with properly gut-loaded and pesticide-free insects to ensure their safety and health.
However, be cautious about the size of the cockroach, as large ones can cause impaction or choking. It is recommended to feed smaller cockroaches to younger Bearded Dragons and appropriately-sized roaches to adult ones.
Now, let’s dive into the benefits and potential risks of feeding cockroaches to bearded dragons in more detail.
Benefits of feeding cockroaches to beardies
Here are 3 benefits of feeding cockroaches to bearded dragons:
- High Protein Content: Cockroaches are an excellent source of protein for bearded dragons, which is essential for their growth and overall health.
- Easily Digestible: Cockroaches have a soft exoskeleton, making them easier to digest compared to other insects, reducing the risk of impaction in bearded dragons.
- Nutrient-Rich: Cockroaches contain a wide range of essential nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, that contribute to the overall well-being of bearded dragons.
Potential risks of feeding cockroaches to beardies
While cockroaches can offer some benefits to your bearded dragon, there are also some potential risks to keep in mind:
- Parasite transmission: Cockroaches can carry parasites that may be harmful to bearded dragons, potentially causing health issues.
- Inappropriate nutrition: Cockroaches may not provide the ideal balance of nutrients and vitamins needed for a bearded dragon’s growth and health.
- Choking hazard: Large or improperly prepared cockroaches could pose a choking risk to bearded dragons, especially if they are not chewed properly.
Alternatives to cockroaches for bearded dragons
If you’re searching for alternatives to cockroaches, there are plenty of other fruits, vegetables and insects that your bearded dragon can enjoy. Here are five options to consider, along with their potential benefits and how to incorporate them into your beardie’s diet:
- Crickets: High in protein and essential nutrients, crickets can improve your bearded dragon’s growth and overall health, and should be offered as a staple part of their diet.
- Mealworms: Rich in protein and essential nutrients, mealworms are a staple food source that supports your bearded dragon’s growth, muscle development, and overall health. They can be fed regularly as part of their diet.
- Dandelion Greens: Rich in calcium and fiber, dandelion greens support bearded dragon’s bone health and digestion, and can be offered as part of their regular greens mix.
- Blueberries: Packed with antioxidants and vitamin C, blueberries enhance your bearded dragon’s immunity and skin health, making a perfect treat once a week.
- Butternut Squash: Rich in nutrients and fiber, butternut squash can provide essential vitamins and minerals for your bearded dragon’s overall health and well-being. It can be fed as a treat occasionally.
1. Can baby bearded dragons eat cockroaches?
Yes, baby bearded dragons can eat cockroaches, specifically, Dubia roaches, as they are a nutritious and safe feeder insect.
2. How often can bearded dragons eat cockroaches?
Bearded dragons can eat cockroaches 2-3 times per week, as part of a varied diet.
3. Do bearded dragons like cockroaches?
Yes, bearded dragons enjoy eating cockroaches, specifically Dubia roaches, as they are a nutritious and protein-rich food source.
Other foods for bearded dragons worth checking:
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Honeysuckle?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Cantaloupe?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Swiss Chard?
You can check other interesting information about your beardies by clicking here.
Also, do you have any special recipes or food tips for feeding bearded dragons? I’d love to hear from you! Share with me your beardie’s favourite in the comments below!