If you’re a proud owner of a bearded dragon, you know how important it is to provide them with a balanced and nutritious diet. With so many food options out there, it’s easy to get lost in the endless possibilities of what you can or cannot feed your beardies – from Lizards to Aloe to Lanternflies.
However, today we’ll be focusing on a particular food item, or rather a particular question, that often sparks confusion in the mind of a bearded dragon owner – can my bearded dragon eat cilantro?
So, let’s get started!
Can bearded dragons have cilantro?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat cilantro. It is a safe and non-toxic herb that can be included in their diet in moderation. Cilantro adds variety and provides essential nutrients like vitamins A, C, and K, as well as minerals like calcium and potassium.
However, it is important not to overfeed cilantro, as it contains oxalates, which can lead to health issues if consumed excessively. Offer cilantro occasionally as a supplement to a balanced bearded dragon diet that mainly consists of staple greens and insects.
Now, let’s dive into the benefits and potential risks of feeding cilantro to bearded dragons in more detail.
Benefits of feeding cilantro to beardies
Here are 3 benefits of feeding cilantro to bearded dragons:
- Rich in vitamins: Cilantro provides bearded dragons with essential vitamins like A, C, and K, which support their overall health and well-being.
- Natural detoxifier: This herb helps to eliminate toxins and heavy metals from the bearded dragon’s body, promoting better digestion and liver function.
- Hydration boost: Cilantro has a high water content, which can help keep bearded dragons hydrated and maintain proper bodily functions.
Potential risks of feeding cilantro to beardies
While cilantro can offer some benefits to your bearded dragon, there are also some potential risks to keep in mind:
- Nutrient Imbalance: Feeding cilantro in excess to bearded dragons may lead to an imbalance of essential nutrients, affecting their overall health.
- Oxalates Buildup: Cilantro contains oxalates, which can bind to calcium and cause calcium deficiency, potentially leading to metabolic bone disease in bearded dragons.
- Overhydration: Cilantro has a high water content, and excessive consumption could cause overhydration, leading to digestive issues in bearded dragons.
Alternatives to cilantro for bearded dragons
If you’re searching for alternatives to cilantro, there are plenty of other fruits, vegetables and insects that your bearded dragon can enjoy. Here are five options to consider, along with their potential benefits and how to incorporate them into your beardie’s diet:
- Collard Greens: Rich in vitamins and minerals, collard greens provide essential nutrients for your bearded dragon’s overall health and well-being, making them a great staple food in their diet.
- Bell Peppers: Packed with vitamins A and C, bell peppers are a nutritious and colorful snack for your bearded dragon, supporting immune health and vision, best offered in moderation.
- Blueberries: Rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, blueberries enhance your bearded dragon’s immunity and skin health, making for a great weekly treat.
- Dubia Roaches: High in protein and essential nutrients, Dubia roaches support your bearded dragon’s growth, muscle development, and overall health, making them a perfect staple feeder insect.
- Butterworms: High in protein and fat, butterworms are a nutritious feeder insect that can be fed as an occasional treat to your bearded dragon for energy and growth support.
1. Can baby bearded dragons eat cilantro?
Yes, baby bearded dragons can eat cilantro in moderation as an occasional treat.
2. How often can bearded dragons eat cilantro?
Bearded dragons can eat cilantro occasionally, about once a week as a small part of their diet.
3. Do bearded dragons like cilantro?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat cilantro in moderation as an occasional treat, but it should not be a staple in their diet.
Other foods for bearded dragons worth checking:
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Lizards?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Aloe?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Lanternflies?
You can check other interesting information about your beardies by clicking here.
Also, do you have any special recipes or food tips for feeding bearded dragons? I’d love to hear from you! Share with me your beardie’s favourite in the comments below!