If you’re a proud owner of a bearded dragon, you know how important it is to provide them with a balanced and nutritious diet. With so many food options out there, it’s easy to get lost in the endless possibilities of what you can or cannot feed your beardies – from Darkling Beetles to Praying Mantises to Cactus.
However, today we’ll be focusing on a particular food item, or rather a particular question, that often sparks confusion in the mind of a bearded dragon owner – can my bearded dragon eat black crickets?
So, let’s get started!
Can bearded dragons have black crickets?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat black crickets. These insects are a healthy and nutritious food source for them, providing essential proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Feeding your bearded dragon a variety of insects, including black crickets, can help maintain their overall health and well-being.
However, it is essential to keep the crickets’ size appropriate for your bearded dragon’s age and size. Also, make sure the insects are not contaminated with pesticides, as this can be harmful to your pet.
Now, let’s dive into the benefits and potential risks of feeding black crickets to bearded dragons in more detail.
Benefits of feeding black crickets to beardies
Here are 3 benefits of feeding black crickets to bearded dragons:
- High Protein Content: Black crickets are an excellent source of protein, essential for the growth and maintenance of a bearded dragon’s muscles and overall health.
- Source of Calcium: Calcium is vital for strong bones and preventing metabolic bone disease in bearded dragons. Black crickets are a good source of this essential mineral.
- Encourages Natural Hunting: Feeding live black crickets to bearded dragons allows them to express their natural hunting instincts, promoting mental stimulation and physical activity.
Potential risks of feeding black crickets to beardies
While black crickets can offer some benefits to your bearded dragon, there are also some potential risks to keep in mind:
- Choking Hazard: Black crickets, especially larger ones, can cause choking if they are not properly chewed by the bearded dragon.
- Impaction Risk: Feeding black crickets that are too large for the bearded dragon can lead to internal blockages and digestive issues.
- Parasite Transmission: Black crickets can carry parasites that can be passed on to the bearded dragon, potentially causing illness.
Alternatives to black crickets for bearded dragons
If you’re searching for alternatives to black crickets, there are plenty of other fruits, vegetables and insects that your bearded dragon can enjoy. Here are five options to consider, along with their potential benefits and how to incorporate them into your beardie’s diet:
- Dubia Roaches: High in protein and calcium, Dubia roaches support your bearded dragon’s growth, muscle function, and bone health, making them a nutritious feeder insect choice.
- Waxworms: High in protein and fat, waxworms serve as an occasional treat for bearded dragons, promoting growth and energy while satisfying their appetites.
- Collard Greens: Rich in vitamins A and C, Collard Greens provide essential nutrients for bearded dragons, promoting healthy growth and strong immune systems when fed as part of a balanced diet.
- Butternut Squash: High in vitamins A and C, butternut squash can support your bearded dragon’s immune system and eye health, and can be fed as part of their regular vegetable mix.
- Blueberries: Packed with antioxidants and vitamin C, blueberries enhance your bearded dragon’s immunity and skin health, making them an ideal weekly treat.
1. Can baby bearded dragons eat black crickets?
Yes, baby bearded dragons can eat black crickets.
2. How often can bearded dragons eat black crickets?
Bearded dragons can eat black crickets daily, but the number of crickets should be limited to 5-10 for adults and 20-40 for juveniles per feeding.
3. Do bearded dragons like black crickets?
Yes, bearded dragons enjoy eating black crickets as part of their varied diet.
Other foods for bearded dragons worth checking:
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Darkling Beetles?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Praying Mantises?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Cactus?
You can check other interesting information about your beardies by clicking here.
Also, do you have any special recipes or food tips for feeding bearded dragons? I’d love to hear from you! Share with me your beardie’s favourite in the comments below!