If you’re a proud owner of a bearded dragon, you know how important it is to provide them with a balanced and nutritious diet. With so many food options out there, it’s easy to get lost in the endless possibilities of what you can or cannot feed your beardies – from Rainbow Chard to Daisies to Radish.
However, today we’ll be focusing on a particular food item, or rather a particular question, that often sparks confusion in the mind of a bearded dragon owner – can my bearded dragon eat apricots?
So, let’s get started!
Can bearded dragons have apricots?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat apricots. They can consume this fruit in moderation as an occasional treat due to its high sugar content. Make sure to remove the pit and cut the apricot into small pieces before feeding it to your pet.
However, it is essential to maintain a balanced diet for your bearded dragon. Primarily focus on providing them with a variety of insects and leafy greens, and only occasionally offer fruits like apricots to prevent potential health issues.
Now, let’s dive into the benefits and potential risks of feeding apricots to bearded dragons in more detail.
Benefits of feeding apricots to beardies
Here are 3 benefits of feeding apricots to bearded dragons:
- Rich in vitamins: Apricots contain a variety of essential vitamins, such as vitamin A and C, that help support the immune system and overall health of bearded dragons.
- Antioxidant properties: Apricots are high in antioxidants, which can help protect bearded dragons from harmful free radicals and promote cellular health.
- Hydration boost: Apricots have a high water content, providing bearded dragons with a natural source of hydration, especially during hot summer months.
Potential risks of feeding apricots to beardies
While apricots can offer some benefits to your bearded dragon, there are also some potential risks to keep in mind:
- High Sugar Content: Apricots contain a significant amount of sugar, which can lead to obesity and other health issues in bearded dragons.
- Potential Pesticide Exposure: Apricots may be treated with pesticides, which can be harmful to bearded dragons if ingested.
- Choking Hazard: Large pieces of apricot can pose a choking risk for bearded dragons, particularly if they are not cut into small, bite-sized pieces.
Alternatives to apricots for bearded dragons
If you’re searching for alternatives to apricots, there are plenty of other fruits, vegetables and insects that your bearded dragon can enjoy. Here are five options to consider, along with their potential benefits and how to incorporate them into your beardie’s diet:
- Blueberries: Packed with antioxidants and vitamin C, blueberries enhance your bearded dragon’s immunity and skin health, making them a perfect weekly treat.
- Collard Greens: Rich in vitamins and minerals, collard greens can support your bearded dragon’s overall health and well-being, and can be offered as a staple part of their diet.
- Dubia Roaches: High in protein and easy to digest, Dubia roaches are a nutritious feeder insect that can promote your bearded dragon’s growth and overall health when fed as a staple part of their diet.
- Butternut Squash: Rich in vitamins A and C, butternut squash benefits your bearded dragon’s vision and immune system, and can be offered as a nutritious meal component once or twice a week.
- Dandelion Greens: Rich in vitamins A and K, dandelion greens support bearded dragon’s immune system and bone health, making them an excellent occasional addition to their diet.
1. Can baby bearded dragons eat apricots?
Yes, baby bearded dragons can eat apricots occasionally as a treat, but ensure they are cut into small pieces and fed in moderation.
2. How often can bearded dragons eat apricots?
Bearded dragons can eat apricots occasionally, about once every 2 weeks.
3. Do bearded dragons like apricots?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat apricots occasionally as a treat. However, they should be served in moderation due to their high sugar content.
Other foods for bearded dragons worth checking:
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Rainbow Chard?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Daisies?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Radish?
You can check other interesting information about your beardies by clicking here.
Also, do you have any special recipes or food tips for feeding bearded dragons? I’d love to hear from you! Share with me your beardie’s favourite in the comments below!