Yes, you’re absolutely correct. Bearded dragons are indeed omnivores.
In their natural habitat, your bearded dragon would consume a varied diet of both plants and small animals. This includes insects, fruits, and vegetables, showcasing their omnivorous nature.
However, it’s crucial to remember, as a bearded dragon owner, that they require a balanced diet. This means providing a mix of proteins from insects and a range of suitable fruits and vegetables.
Lastly, young bearded dragons have a higher protein requirement, so their diet should be heavier on insects. As they mature, their diet should shift more towards plant-based food.
You can learn more by visiting our rich inventory of blogs about bearded dragons.
How To Provide a Balanced Omnivorous Diet for Bearded Dragons
Feeding your Bearded Dragon a balanced omnivorous diet is not as complex as it may seem. With a little knowledge, you can ensure your pet stays healthy, happy, and energetic. Remember, the core diet of a Bearded Dragon consists of both plants and insects.
- Offer a wide variety of insects like crickets, mealworms, and waxworms. These should make up 75% of the diet for young Bearded Dragons and 25% for adults.
- Green leafy vegetables are excellent sources of nutrients. Try offering spinach, kale, or collard greens. Make leafy greens around 25% of the diet for young Bearded Dragons and 75% for adults.
- Bearded Dragons also enjoy fruits. Offer small chunks of apples, peaches, and pears occasionally. Keep fruits to a minimum as they are high in sugar.
- Use a reptile multivitamin and calcium supplement. Sprinkle it on the insects and veggies every alternate day for young dragons and twice a week for adults.
- Don’t feed them avocados, rhubarb, or anything with caffeine as these are toxic for them.
- Provide fresh water daily in a shallow dish. Bearded Dragons may not drink often, but they appreciate the option.
- Feed young Bearded Dragons two to three times a day, while adults do well with a single daily feeding.
By following these guidelines, you can provide a balanced and nutritious diet for your Bearded Dragon. With proper care and attention, your pet can thrive and live a long, healthy life.
To further extend your knowledge about bearded dragons, here are a few more to explore:
Each post offers in-depth insights, giving you all the details you need to take good care of your beardie.
Remember to research and prepare for your pet’s specific needs, and you’ll have a happy and healthy companion for years to come.